16 Mar 2017
Canterbury Racing - Amberley
Thursday racing at Riccarton Park
25 Mar 2017
Canterbury Racing - Hororata
Day 1 of the Autumn Racing Season
8 Apr 2017
Canterbury Racing - Riccarton
Day 2 of the Autumn Racing Season & our "Punters Challenge"
Welcome to Canterbury Racing
For over 160 years the Canterbury Jockey Club has been at the forefront of New Zealand racing conducting some of the most prestigious races in the country. Riccarton Park is home to 23 racedays each season with highlights including the New Zealand Cup Meeting in November, Grand National Racing Carnival (Jumps Racing) in August and the four day Autumn Racing Season.
The Clubs racing calendar is defined by.
• The Iconic Christchurch Casino New Zealand Cup over the staying test of 3200 metres.
• Group 1, Sothys New Zealand 2000 Guineas. $400,000 over the classic distance of 1600 metres.
• Group 1, gavelhouse.com New Zealand 1000 Guineas for the three-year-old fillies.
• Group 2, Coupland's Bakeries Mile of $230,000 over 1600 metres for the Open horses
• These four races form the backbone of the New Zealand Cup Meeting.
• Racecourse Hotel & Motor Lodge Grand National Steeplechase in August.
• Hospitality New Zealand Canterbury Grand National Hurdle Race also in August.
• 23 Group, Listed and Prestige jumping races are held each year.
• On 11 of these races the Club pays well above the industry funded minimum stake.
• 18 of the Clubs 23 racedays are Feature, premier or Iconic racemeetings.
• Minimum stake of $20,000 for all races except excep0t the $10,000 maidens on these days.
• Minimum stake of $8,000 at the five Industry and Tier 2 Feature days - $1,000 above the funded minimum.
• Racing conducted every moth except for July.
• Total stakes of $6.2 million distributed over the 23 racedays.
The 2017 Grand National Racing Carnival dates are 5, 9 & 12 August while the 2017 NZ Cup Meeting is 11, 15 & 18 November.
Vibrant and exciting racedays held throughout the year. Click and download the 2016/17 race dates file